A blackout cover installed at St Lawrence Chapel during World War II to hide light from enemy aircraft has been removed after 87 years.
The covering was put in place during wartime to prevent light from being visible to enemy aircraft when the chapel was used for the town’s night-time services.
A small trefoil window in the eaves above the altar had been covered with a bitumen-style fabric and painted over, which the Feoffees and Trustees recently decided to remove.
Chair of the Feoffees and Trustees Ian Frostick carried out the work alongside Feoffees Ray Mills and Jim Landry.
“We removed the painted fabric cover, cleaned out a century of birds’ nests and debris, installed a window, repaired the surrounding woodwork and redecorated,” he said.
“We also took the opportunity to replace eight ceiling uplight bulbs and Josh from BE Services inspected the electric cables.
“We would like to thank James and the team at Warminster Tool Hire for their fantastic support. The vent was seven metres above the ground and it took several hours to safely move the scissor lift into position.”
St Lawrence Chapel was used for wartime services due to its small size, which made blackout measures easier to implement. Wooden boards covered the windows and heavy curtains were placed over the main door.
The chapel, which dates back to 1280, is a non-Royal Interdenominational Peculiar. It was taken by the Crown in 1549 and has been held in trust by 12 Feoffees on behalf of the town since 1575.
It is independent of the Church of England and is funded through donations, bequests, fundraising, rental income from Curfew Cottage and grants for larger projects.















